Wednesday 5 October 2011

once upon a time...


What makes the perfect children's picture book? I think the secret is for the parents to love it as much as the child. Kids love to read with mum or dad and they often return to the same beloved book again and again. 

This is why I'm so happy that owls have long been a popular motif of books for babies and children. These are some of my favourites in English and French. I notice there is a popular theme about baby owls becoming separated from their mother. Another favourite approach is to point out how funny it is that owls sleep in the day while children sleep at night. (We read 'bonne nuit hibou' with baby owl every night before bedtime).

I think they are also rather appealing for adults, whether or not they have children! What do you reckon?

2 comments:

Immie said...

I work in a book shop, and I have to admit to reading a couple of these wonderful books during my shift. My favourite owl book is one called "That's not my Mummy" where a little baby owl falls out of his nest during the day and spends ages going around the forest with a helpful squirrel meeting all the daylight creatures he's never seen before. It's so funny and charming ^.^ And at the end, the mother owl tells the little owl that he is very silly indeed and must be more careful...but the last page shows her falling out of the nest with a really cute O.O! face hehe..

Unknown said...

Working in a book shop - cool job! I think 'That's Not My Mummy' must be similar to the one called 'A Little Bit Lost' - my son LOVES that one and so do I! It has a great fold-out flap at the start where the little owl falls out of his nest, and my little one loves to say "UH-OH" as he turns it!

It's funny how so many owl books are about losing and finding mummy...

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It's always so lovely to hear from you.
Suki

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...